My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Saturday 27 November 2010

Go fourth...

I got the orange line from Metro Central to Court House, and gave Paul a call. He walked to the station to meet me and walk me to their house just a few minutes away. At the house I met his wife Katie and two daughters Mindy and Rebecca (they're my fourth cousin's once removed). Introductions out of the way, and beer in hand, Paul unravelled the family tree which he had printed out and stuck together on a dozen or so A4 pieces of paper. It's one thing reading connections in text form, but seeing it laid out on a family tree brings it to life as you really can see the connections. Rebecca took a photo of myself and Paul stood by our respective places on the family tree.

It was great to spend the evening with them and learn about their lives, and likewise describe to them what I have been doing the past few years. Dinner itself was delicious, my second turkey meal in two days, plus an amazingly good pumpkin pie (which sadly I couldn't quite finish I was so full). Rebecca also gave me a few tips on things to do in Australia as she has lived out there. It's difficult to fully explain what it's like to meet your fourth cousin, who one week ago I had never heard of until my dad vaguely remembered the he had made contact with someone in the DC area some time ago when researching the family tree. But now I have met both Paul and Susan. And I am very glad to have done so. It's nice to know that my 'travelling family' (my self penned name for all the people I am meeting on my journey) now also includes actual blood line relatives. It's a big small world...

No comments: