My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Monday 8th November 2010


Breakfast was head, and we hit the road. We were travelling to the Upper Peninsula, North East of Minneapolis. They had a cabin booked for 2 nights, and I'd join them there. As it's not currently in season it won't be a problem turning up as a four, not the three they booked for. We spent a few hours on the road, and then Alyssa saw a sign for a glass museum (I say a sign, it was a large rock with the word Oulo on it and an arrow). Alyssa immediately turned the corner and we drove through trees (and trees and trees and trees) and then out of nowhere we came across this little building. We chatted to a guy outside who told us to just walk in and have a look round. They were actually glass blowers, and there was a lady inside who told us the history.

It was a fascinating day already and it was only 11am. We continued driving a
and stopped at a National Park Information Centre, had a little look around and then a walk through their little nature trail. Then Drew said "Hey Dave, you fancy driving for a bit?" I really wanted to, but was hit with a sudden bout of nerves, what with the 'other side of the road' and the 'steering wheel on the other side'. Then I reminded myself of my rule. NEVER SAY NO. So, honouring my rule, I said yes. And that, ladies and gentleman, is the moment my American Dream came true. I sat at my table at home about 6 months ago and told my dad how much I wanted to drive America. My dad said "Do it then". Ever since then I've been waiting for the moment to road trip America, and here it was. I drove around the car park for a while to get my bearings, and then we set off. Me, and the open road. It was amazing.

As we drove further and further, with the sun setting behind us, and the views of lakes, and trees and other breathtaking views, I couldn't contain my joy. And I can't thank Drew enough for having the faith and trust in me to drive his car. With the sun very close to setting, we were driving parallel to a disused rail track with literally miles and miles of freight trains on them, covered in graffiti, unmoved for months, probably years. We parked up and walked up to the tracks. We climbed onto the roofs of the carriages, and it was breathtaking. (due to the impromptu nature of the top, I didn't take my camera with me!) The sun finally set, and it was pitch black, with just the moon guiding us (and the flashing hazard lights of the car pulled up by the road). We set off again, stopping on the way for some groceries. We eventually pulled into the Northern Lights Lakeside Resort, and we all had smiles from ear to ear. Despite it being pitch black, the place was beautiful, and when we entered the main office (which was just a little cabin itself) the owners John & Loxia were there to greet us. They were the sweetest couple imaginable, and even had a home baked cake waiting for us. Drew went to the lakeside beach to start up a fire, and dinner was prepared in the cabin. The rest of the evening was spent by the fire, melting marshmallows under the stars...

No comments: