My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Rewind...

So I probably need to rewind a few days.

I got to Philly last Friday, a little bit late, but was welcomed into the home of Wanda with a delicious home cooked dinner. Wanda lived with 3 other girls, and there were a few other guys there for dinner too, including Ian, a fellow Brit who was also couchsurfing there. That evening we just went for a few beers in a local bar and called it a night. Being quite tired I just strolled around Philly for a bit on Saturday and in the evening went to a party being held in a gym somewhere in West Philly. It was pretty good fun. However, feeling generally tired (physically and mentally) I had already decided that Sunday evening I would check into the reasonably cheap Club Quarters hotel in downtown, just to have some time to myself.

On Monday morning I met up with Susan, with whom I am distantly related. My dad is actively into genealogy, and remembered that he had previously made contact with distant relatives in the Washington DC area. He got in contact with Paul, who in turn replied saying his sister actually lived near and worked in Philly. His sister Susan then messaged me and we arranged to meet before I headed off to Baltimore. By pure coincidence my hotel was just round the corner from her office, so we arranged to meet for breakfast. It was great meeting her, and we had no problem talking about things for the 90 minutes or so breakfast, covering my trip so far, my side of the family, her side of the family and other general topics. I even recorded a Thanksgiving message on her phone for Susan to show her family.

Great great great great cousins, Susan & I.

And rewinding again, whilst I was in Bucks County with Alyssa, she had mentioned she had never been to Baltimore. So, in the tradition of sharing the travel love, I said "well, why don't you come with me?". I'm very glad she said yes, so on Monday morning we met at the Philadelphia Greyhound station and made our way to Baltimore. I was planning on staying at a hotel in Mid-town anyway, so the extra person worked out cheaper for both of us. With the weather being reasonably warm, we just strolled around and took it all in. I can't deny my only influence for wanting to visit Baltimore was from watching The Wire, so I didn't really know what to expect, but I found it a great city, especially the Inner Harbour and Fell's Point areas. (Although a number of people told me to stay away from the East side, as it is just like The Wire. I stayed away.) On Wednesday Alyssa returned home for thanksgiving and I met up with Erica to spend thanksgiving with her family...

No comments: