My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Sunday 5 December 2010

Brain matters...

Jacob showed us around Macon on Friday morning, and Ray also joined us. We hit a downtown restaurant for brunch at midday, and then walked down to the Otis Reading statue before driving over to the Allman Brothers museum called 'The Big House', situated within the actual house that they lived in during the early seventies.

Sitting on the dock of the bay...


The golden age...

We eventually left about 4pm for our three hour drive to Montgomery where we had another couchhost set up, Tony. Our journey there was pretty straightforward, although the 'Check Engine' light did flash. My lack of motoring knowledge was pretty useless, but a quick look didn't show anything serious, and a nearby Auto shop plugged in an electronic monitor that said it might have something to do with the catalytic converter. The same thing happened a month or so ago and it didn't cause any problems so on we went.

We arrived into Montgomery, a quiet but lovely little southern town. We waited in the car for 10 minutes as Tony was at the grocery store, and when he arrived he showed us up to his apartment. Not only does he have a wonderful apartment, but it is also situated in the building where Rosa Parks used to work. They were originally going to knock it down but it was eventually bought and turned into apartments, so at least the building has been preserved. Tony showed us the bus stop where Rosa Parks boarded for the now infamous bus journey and I quite genuinely felt a shiver down my spine. We went for dinner, which he very kindly paid for (he pays for every first meal with his couchsurfers) and I quickly knew that not only would I get along with Tony, but would find him very interesting. He has worked in the military for 11 years, joining when he was 19. He initially joined the infantry and tank division, then worked for the recruiting department, then the marketing department, was then posted to Afghanistan for 12 months, returning 7 months ago rejoining the Marketing Department. We spent the rest of the evening, into the early hours, discussing all sorts, from politics, to philosophy, to the size of our brains, to films and his time in the military. Despite tiredness kicking in I just wanted to stay up and talk. By 2am (and we'd gained an hour travelling, so 3am) it was time for bed. Drew took the couch and I got the large blow up mattress that was in the spare room. Another day of fascinating tales and stories. I'm just grateful I have enough room in my brain to take it all in. From seeing dolphins by the beach on Friday to hearing stories about Afghanistan from a US soldier on Saturday, it's been an eye opening 48 hours. And in another 48 hours or so, I'll be in New Orleans...

No comments: