My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Sunday 26 December 2010

Very superstitious, writing's on the wall...

Wednesday December 22nd

I woke up Wednesday morning, and James had to be in work, but he gave me a key to the house and said I could come and go as I please. Again, the generosity and trust from strangers staggers belief. I looked on line for an interesting place to go, and read about the Superstition Mountains, just a 40 minute drive from Tempe. First I got some breakfast at a great little place called Harlow's Cafe, then I set off in search of some wilderness. And boy did I find some. My first stop was the Superstition Mountains Museum to pick up some information, and got a free map showing me where I could go. First stop would be the Lost Dutchman State Forest where I could go hiking up round the mountains. I parked my car, grabbed a bottle of water, chose my route, and off I went. The following two hours was breathtaking. I've never felt so insignificant in my life. In a positive way. There was not a soul but myself, and these huge mountainous rocks around me, and as I climbed higher and higher, I could see for miles around me in all directions. And so far, no rain, just bright beaming sunshine. Two birds blew above me and the only two sounds I could hear at that point was their squawk and the flapping of their wings.


The view approaching the Superstition Mountains.


The view climbing the Superstition Mountains.


The view behind the Superstition Mountains.


The view through part of the Superstition Mountains.


The view coming back down the Superstition Mountains.


Following the open wilderness, I headed for a more closed wilderness, traversing the mountainous Apache Trail 88 roads through the Superstition Mountains as I made my way to the Tortilla Flats. I'd never driven through such scenery, as I climbed and climbed through the mountains, then drove by, and stopped at, the fantastic Canyon Lake, before finally ending up at Tortilla Flats, a four barn stop consisting of a tiny museum, a grocery store, a restaurant and a gift shop. Tortilla flats originally came about as a stop for the workers making their way through the mountains to build the Hoover Dam. Rumour has it was so called the Tortilla Flats because some workers got stranded by a flash flood, and only had enough flour and water to make a few flat tortillas, and thus the name was born.

Canyon Lake


Open land


Tortilla Flats



It was dark by the time I drove back and driving back through the winding roads was both exhilarating and scary, but I loved every minute of it. I returned back to Tempe just as James returned from work, and he kindly cooked dinner before we went out to meet Matt and Renee and a few others for a few drinks at a few local bars. I went to bed, having experienced no rain. I kept my fingers crossed...

1 comment:

ABN said...

dude i am so jealous right now!