My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Monday 27 June 2011

My story...

Everyone has their story. And no one story is more important than the other, but every story is as relevant as any other. Back in the 'old days' people didn't talk about Cancer. It was a very hush hush subject. The nearest anyone got to mentioning it was 'The Big C' and even then many didn't quite understand what that meant. It can appear to be the most random of afflictions, and in truth, it is. The healthiest of people can wake up one day with it, whilst those that drink and smoke all their lives can lead a good life into their 90's. Most people will somehow have been affected, directly or directly. Most directly, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer a number of years ago, and thanks to an early diagnosis and a speedy intervention by doctors, he was operated on and has had no relapse some 10 years down the line. Some years ago we lost a very good friend of the family, who was a wife and a mother, after a number of years battling the disease, and two of my good friends have been deeply affected, one losing her father 25 years ago, and another still caring for her father who has been unwell for a number of years. Most recently another very close friend of the family, and also my driving instructor, has been diagnosed with cancer and is currently very seriously ill. Although still in the early stages of diagnosis and prognosis, it was just a few weeks ago he was still teaching people to drive, just as he did me, and now he is seriously ill in hospital, unable to move due to a debilitating tumour on his back.

It was for all these reasons, and the knowledge that there are thousands others out there with similar stories, that I chose to do the London Bikeathon in aid of Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. So yesterday I completed a total of 41.4 miles in 4 hours and 45 minutes (7.7 miles from my home to the course, a 26 mile course from Battersea Power Station to Richmond Park and back, and then 7.7 miles back home). And as I struggled through the searing heat of the hottest day of the year, I thought about my dad 10 years ago, I thought about Rose, I thought about my friend's fathers, and I thought about Chris. My ride is dedicated to those who have lost their lives, those that sadly will lose their lives, the family and friends of those affected, and all those who are working had to find a cure.

If you would like to donate please visit http://www.justgiving.com/centuryofsponsors/

or click the 'donate' button below:




Leaving home...


Crossing north to south...


The start of the 26 miles course...


The cause...


The street...


Approaching Hammersmith bridge...


Richmond park...


Oh deer...


Lunch...


Half time near Ham House...


Putney...


The end (of the 26 mile bit)...


Battersea Power Station...


Hyde Park on the way home...


Back home...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your work Dave! I shaved my head to raise money... note to self - ride a bike Jane. Much healthier idea, mind you, my hair never looked so good once it grew back!

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron