My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Saturday 1 January 2011

I'm in a wide open space...

"The wonders of the Grand Canyon cannot be adequately represented in symbols of speech, nor by speech itself. The resources of the graphic art are taxed beyond their powers in attempting to portray its features. Language and illustration combined must fail."

These are the words of John Wesley Powell, the first man to lead a European American expedition through the Grand Canyon, in 1869. I have to say, I agree with him. Words won't do it justice. Photos won't do it justice. But in an attempt to give you an idea, here are a few words. And a few photos:

Scott's housemate, Felicia, would be free from 12:30, so she decided to join us with a friend of hers, Jodie. Her dog, Tobin, also came along for the ride. We set off and took the wonderfully scenic route up the 180 to the Grand Canyon. Much of the route was along beautiful snowy scenery, and we stopped off at the amazing Holy Dove Chapel, literally just on the side of the road, open 24/7 for anyone to go in. We drove to Amanda's house so we could pick up her car (it has a pass to get us into the National Park for free) and made our way to the Grand Canyon. There are many once in a life time experiences, and if you have never seen the Grand Canyon before, those first split seconds when you see it and realise the sheer size if it is an experience you will never repeat. My jaw literally dropped, and I had no words. It's absolutely impossible to truly comprehend the size of it unless you go there. If you haven't been, go. There's no other advice I can give. Scott took us down to a great little look out called Ooh Aah Point, about 3/4 mile down into the Canyon. We even passed a mule train on the way down, and we stood to one side, because here, mules have right of way.

Roadside chapel...


Inside looking out...


First impressions of Earth...


Mule train...


The view...


Peering over the edge...


Looking back whence we came...


That evening we returned to Amanda's place where Scott made some home made pizza. Scott stayed at Amanda's as he hadn't seen her in a week, and the rest of us drove back to Flagstaff. I was planning another day in Flagstaff to see the local sights, namely Walnut Canyon, Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater. The Grand Canyon may have been the biggest, but there was still much more to see...


No comments: