My photo
My name is Dave. I have things to say. I know not where I am going, only where I have been. When I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. If we meet along the way, let's do something.
my failed attempt at a daily photoblog:
366 days of 2012


my new attempt at photoblogging:
instagram feed

Saturday 1 January 2011

A journey through time & space...

As, er, grand as the Grand Canyon was, Tuesday was spectacular in a different way. I managed to squeeze a lot into the day. I started with a drive along Snowbowl Drive towards the Snowbowl ski resort, before being forced back around 7 miles up as they were only allowing skiers any further. I then took a trip to Walnut Canyon, a small canyon (everything's 'smaller' compared to the Grand Canyon) which still has hundreds of visible dwellings embedded into the rocks from when native Americans inhabited it. Some of them are dotted along the trail, which you can actually walk into. I followed this with a long drive through Wupatki National Monument, situated on the edge of the Hopi Indian Reservation. Within it are contained many ruins and just an amazingly vast open space which you drive through. Eventually you reach Sunset Crater, part of a series of cinder cones that have developed over many many years of volcanic activity. I finished the day with a hike up the Lenox Crater Trail, getting to the top just in time to watch the sunset behind the distant mountains.

Snowbowl:


Walnut Canyon:




Wupatki National Monument:




Sunset Crater:


Lenox Crater:





When I returned to the house, Felicia was there with her friend Michelle. We had a pasta dinner and then played Yahtzee into the evening, and finished by watching the film Fire in the Sky, a sci-fi based in Arizona and on the supposed true story of a relative of Felicia. Before bed I was trying to work out my next move. Either a move north into Utah to visit the Zion National Park, but the weather didn't look too good, or perhaps a visit to Las Vegas. Michelle and Felicia were tempted by a road trip to Vegas, and we decided we'd reconvene in the morning and see which way the wind blew. I went to bed unsure as to what the following day might bring...

No comments: